Friday, July 26, 2024

San Diego Comic Con Friday Brings Fun Panels

 


Jeri Jacquin

It is day three of San Diego Comic Con International and it was jam-packed filled with panels in Hall H. In the mix are a few of my favorite shows which makes being there epic in all aspects. So, let’s jump right in!

The panels begin with Prime’s THE BOYS which has become an amazing series and has a serious following. Jeffrey Dean Morgan jumps into moderate the panel as the cast is introduced. Jack Quaid, Erin Moriarty, Karen Fukuhara, Tomer, Chance Crawford, Laz Alonso, Jesse T. Usher, Susan Hayward, Valorie Curry, Claudia Doumit, Nathan Mitchell and Antony Starr.

Asking what his favorite scene he did for the season, executive producer and showrunner Eric Kripk says, “The shifter fight in the finale, that was awesome.” Morgan asks Laz how he felt to be in charge of THE BOYS and he replies, “a promotion!”. Erin got to play a villain this season and she says, “I got to embrace who I am. It was challenging and I am a person that likes to torture myself. It kind of makes it easier written as well as it was. That shifter part, and I am so grateful to get that opportunity. This show, anything can literally happen. Anything can happen.”

Asking what moment shocked him the most, Starr says, “I have got to be honest I have done a lot of strange things in my career but when breast milk was coming out. That was the realist thing because it wasn’t so much, we’ve done weird stuff, but it turned into a love scene.” Jack Quaid gets his moment when asked how the series started with his girlfriend exploding in his face. What is the big moments for him? “The material is so well written, the scene with Robin at the beginning tells everyone what the show actually is. This season, episode five when I had a wonderful moment with Simon Pegg, he is my hero. The fact that I got to say ‘you’re my hero’ and not act is going down as an all-time good thing for me.”

When Claudia started with the boys, she didn’t know what her storyline would be. She says, “they said were really excited to have me. I had no warning that I would have superpowers. I didn’t know, I was in the dark but when I found out I was absolutely thrilled”. Tomer says about his character, “I’m vulnerable and the best thing as an actor is first and foremost having the best showrunner and the amazing writers. It stretches each and every one of us to explore new worlds.”

Chance Crawford says of his season, “It was great, the fight scene with Ambrosia was good. I have a whole new respect for stuntmen. I got my butt kicked which was nice. I had an absolute blast and this was my favorite arc ever.”

Kripk says the work for the next season is still in the works. They introduce the hall to Jensen Ackles who refers to himself as an “itch that won’t go away”. He spent years as part of Hall H on Sundays with his series SUPERNATURAL and now a part of THE BOYS. It is announced that Soldier Boy will be a regular in Season 5. Also announced is a new series that is being created.

Next is another hit Prime series THE LORD OF THE RINGS: The Rings of Power. On stage are J.D. Payne, Patrick McKay who are the show runners and the exclusive trailer for the upcoming season is read to show the return of Sauron who is bringing darkness back to Middle Earth. Even thought has been cast out by Galadriel, The Rings of Power are being forges as Sauron (disguised) practices his manipulations to control all those in Middle Earth. This season includes a young Shelob, Barrow-wights, Hill-troll Damrod, a Sea Work and my favorite Ents!

For first time viewers, the show is based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbitt and The Lord of the Rings books. The Rings of Power takes place thousands of years before Frodo and Samwise. This Middle Earth starts in peace but when evil comes back and darkness is spreading, it is time to come together and take back the peace.

On the panel are Cynthia Addai-Robinson, Robert Aramayo, Maxim Baldry, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cordova, Charles Edwards, Trystan Gravelle, Sam Hazeldine, Ema Horvath, Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Lloyd Owen, Megan Richards, Charlie Bickers, Benjamin Walker and Daniel Weyman. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: The Rings of Power returns to Prime on August 29th.

Next up is DR. WHO but there is an announcement that has fans cheering wildly. Disney and the BBC are going to be bringing a Dr. Who spin-off called The War Between The Land and the Sea. It will be a five-part series starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Russell Tovey along with Jemma Redgrave and Alexander Devrient. The premise is that UNIT discovers that an ancient species has come from the ocean and said hello to humanity but causes an international crisis, ergo the war between land and sea.

“I’m so lucky to work with such a magnificent cast, this is a huge, muscular, thrilling drama which will shake The Whoniverse to its foundations”, says showrunner and producer Russell T. Davies. The series will stream on Disney+ once a release date is given.

Back in full swing is Chris Hardwick hosting the panel for AMC’s THE WALKING DEAD: Dead City. Producer Eli Jorne and stars Lauren Cohan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan along with Gaius Charles and Zeljko Ivanek brought a n exclusive teaser for the upcoming series which is due next year.

Maggie and Negan traveled to Manhattan to find Maggie’s son and they are once again met with the evillest human beings and not just the dead. The city is, like the rest of the world, broken down and dangerous. In season two, those who want to control Manhattan find Maggie and Negan (and not for the first time) on opposite sides of the battle. The question remains, can them come together again or are they back to square one. It must be said that I love me some Negan and as bad as he was before, its nice to see a side that thinks things through first before going nuts. It’s Maggie’s turn to be doing that and I’m not a fan of her change.

Let’s see how this plays out shall we. Just know when you hear that whistle and the sound of a dragging bat that perhaps Negan has his beloved Lucille once again and that ain’t good folks!

There was also the casting announcement of Keir Gilchrist playing Benjamin Pierce, Dascha Polanco as Major Lucia Narvaez, Jake Weary playing Christos and Pooya Mohseni as Roksana.

But the dead aren’t finished! THE WALKING DEAD: Daryl Dixon – The Book of Carol is next for the flesh eaters. AMC has already announced there will be a third season for Norman Reedus (even before Season Two has aired) and that it will be set in Spain. Showrunner David Zabel, executive producer Greg Nicotero, cast Louis Puech Scigliuzzi, Melissa McBride and Norman Reedus sit for the panel. The third season follows Carol and Daryl as they try to make their way back home. As with all the journeys of the original group, there is going to be problems, struggles and issues that make their journey home even more difficult.

Season two of TWD: Daryl Dixon is set to premier on AMC September 29th (it’s too far away for me! I want it NOW! Just sayin’) and it’s a thrill to see Daryl and Carol sticking up for one another again. Reedus says,” I couldn’t wait for Melissa to show up. We’re partners in crime the two of us and to watch Melissa come to Europe and kick ass!” McBride says of working with Reedus, “I’m really appreciating the new challenges for Daryl and Carol being so far from all they’ve ever known and what that means for them. There’s still so much ahead to unpack in France for the coming season and the breathtaking finale!”

Don’t you hate when they tease? Yes, but I’m good with it too because Daryl and Carol are two of my favorite characters from The Walking Dead Universe and I have always felt like they were not given the storylines they deserved. Always the bridesmaid and never the bride, these two actors get the opportunity to truly expand what we know about Daryl and Carol as only Reedus and McBride can do. Just don’t smell the flowers!

That wraps up day two for me as it means getting this write up to you! I can promise you tomorrow is going to be a mad house as Marvel takes up the evening hours in Hall H. It is a time for true Marvel fans to get a taste of what is to come in the MCU and personally; after seeing DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE, I wouldn’t mind it if the boys got together again right? I mean a girl can dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment